How Does AXA Compare?
No Claims Discount
AXA’s no claims discount works on a seventeen tier system. The maximum premium discount you can receive on the top tier is 80%.
If you make a claim, your no claims discount tier falls by three tiers. If you go a year without claiming, it increases by one tier.
With AXA any claim, no matter how low in value, impacts your no claims discount. There are a few exceptions to this, including if you have private treatment below the cost of your excess and therefore meet the entire cost of that care yourself.
Other exceptions include:
- Claims for the NHS treatment and NHS cancer treatment benefits
- Doctor@Hand consultations
- Claims under the Therapies option if you’ve added this to your policy
- Cashback for optician or dental fees, if you’ve added this to your policy
- Claims for speech therapy.
NHS Cancer Support
If you’ve previously had cancer before taking out an AXA Health Insurance policy, AXA will typically only offer you cancer care on the NHS Cancer Support basis.
This means the policy won’t cover cancer in most instances and you’ll have to use the NHS for cancer care.
The only time AXA will step in to provide cancer treatment on this basis is if the NHS does not provide a licensed cancer drug / treatment you require.
High Optional Excesses
The £2,500 and £5,000 excesses, although only available with the full outpatient cover option, are still among the highest optional excesses in the industry.
While they would be expensive to pay upfront if you ever needed to claim, if you have the means to pay them they could help significantly reduce premiums.
6 Week NHS Wait
AXA offers the 6 week NHS wait option, which can be a way of keeping costs down by only paying for private inpatient treatment if the NHS wait for that treatment exceeds 6 weeks.
Proton Beam Therapy
Assuming you have Comprehensive Cancer Cover, AXA specifically states in its policy documents that it pays for the cutting edge treatment proton beam therapy to treat certain types of cancer in certain circumstances.
AXA pays for proton beam therapy in the following cases:
- Where a covered member aged under 21 has brain or spinal core cancer or a malignant solid cancer
- For treatment of chordomas or chondrosarcomas (types of spinal cancer) in the base of the skull or neck bones which has not spread
- For treatment of cancer of the iris, ciliary body or choroid parts of the eye (uveal melanoma) which has not spread.
Dedicated Heart and Cancer Nurses
If doctors diagnose you with a heart condition or cancer, AXA gives you access to a dedicated team of cardiac or cancer nurses to discuss your condition, symptoms and treatment whenever you need.
Fast Track Physio Access
AXA lets you skip a GP referral for physiotherapy for musculoskeletal complaints via its Working Body program. This gets you fast access to care exactly when you need it the most.