Can my limited company pay my income protection premiums?

Is it possible for me to take out an income insurance policy and pay the premiums through my limited company?

Question asked by Brenda Yen
Compare Top 10 UK
Takes approx. 60 seconds
Type of Policy
Income Required
Date of Birth

Answered by Tom Conner

How to pay your premiums through your limited company

Many of our clients are a director of their own limited company and in this situation there are a few options to consider when setting up an income protection policy.

Income protection insurance can either be paid by the individual out of after tax income or paid for by the company. Which method is more cost effective comes down to the policy choice (either a personal or executive plan) and the respective tax implications.

Personal Income Protection

With this option the policy is taken out and owned by an individual and is most commonly paid for from a personal bank account out of the individual’s net income. In this situation the monthly benefit payable to the individual upon a claim would be free from income tax under current regulations.

However, it may also be possible to take out a personal plan and pay the premiums through a limited company. In this situation, the benefit would still be free from income tax provided that the premiums are disclosed as a P11D benefit and taxed accordingly. Whether the premiums can be classified as a business expense would come down to the opinion of the local inspector of taxes.

Executive Income Protection

An executive income protection policy is commonly taken out either by company directors looking to protect themselves or by firms wishing to offer this cover to a small number of specific staff as an employee benefit (as opposed to covering a larger number of staff under a group income protection scheme).

With this type of policy the plan is actually owned by the business and any benefit paid out is paid to the business. The business is free to use the funds however they wish with the most common being to pay the individual the monthly benefit as a form of sick pay.

It should be noted that the payout would be treated as a trading receipt and taxed accordingly; this is why the level of cover needs to be grossed-up to leave an appropriate level of after tax income for the director/employee (the benefit would be taxed as income for the employee).

As before, whether the premiums can be classified as a business expense would come down to the opinion of the local inspector of taxes. Drewberry usually provide both options (executive and personal) for discussion with an accountant.

None of the content in this post should be taken as tax advice. You should consult your accountant for advice on which method is the most tax efficient.

income protection
executive income protection
This information does not constitute financial or other professional advice. You should consult your professional adviser or contact us directly on 02084327333 should you require financial advice. It is important to ensure any insurance policy you take out is suitable for your needs.
Compare Top 10 UK Insurers
  Takes approx. 60 seconds
Need help? 
Call us on 

Frequently Asked Income Protection Insurance Questions

I work on a zero hour contract, is there any unemployment/sick cover i can get (like self employed...
I’m looking to take out Income Protection but i don’t understand what is meant by the excess...
I have been doing some research online for an income protection plan but don’t know whether it...
I currently have an income protection plan that is due to end in a few years time at age 65 but I am...
Need Help? Live chat now and get an instant answer from our Experts...


Our Latest Reviews
Elizabeth Owen

Sam was knowledgeable and attentive and spent a long time explaining and working out what Income Protection insurance would be best for me.

Adam Doree

I researched Drewberry to make sure they would be likely to add value to the confusing process of finding suitable insurance – and they delivered completely; I was very impressed and feel like they added real value in terms of consultation and guidance. Would recommend without hesitation.

Jonathan Moss

Will is fantastic went through everything in detail really helpful and ultimately ensured that I went with the best product for my circumstances. Thanks!

We are rated 4.9/5 based on 1129 independent client reviews.
To read more of our independent client reviews click here →
4.92 / 5 Average
1,263 Reviews
Overall Rating
SAM Carr was exceptional, he made my life very easy by explaining all the details very clearly whilst giving me the best advice possible for myself.

Would recommend to a friend!
Overall Rating
Provided the advice & guidance that I needed
Overall Rating
The overall experience which I have had can be summarized by Professional, Swift and friendly. I would recommend the service to others.
Overall Rating
Extremely helpful and rapid service at short notice.
Overall Rating
Very clear explanations of the options and then efficiently processed the transaction