Difference Between Personal Accident Insurance and Critical Illness Cover?

What’s the difference between Critical Illness Insurance and Personal Accident Cover? I’m looking to be able to pay my mortgage and bills if I can’t work.

Question asked by Matt Thomas

The difference between Personal Accident and Critical Illness insurance

Personal Accident Insurance is designed to pay a lump sum if you suffer an accident.

Critical Illness Insurance, meanwhile, will pay a lump sum if you are diagnosed with a critical illness. Naturally, this also includes the potential results of a serious accident, such as the loss of a limb or loss of sight.

The amount payable on Personal Accident Insurance will usually be determined by the type of accident or severity of the injury.

Critical Illness Insurance plans pay the whole lump sum if your illness is severe enough to meet the criteria; however, most insurers will pay a proportionate benefit if your illness is less severe.

Generally speaking, Personal Accident Plans are popular amongst people who participate in hazardous sports or pastimes whereas Critical Illness Insurance is often taken for the purposes of paying off a mortgage debt.

Our verdict on the most comprehensive cover between the two

Critical Illness Cover is generally more comprehensive than Personal Accident Plans given that they can also pay out for various illnesses in addition to accidents, such as types of cancer, heart attacks and strokes.

Get in contact

If you would like to discuss this further or have any other questions don’t hesitate to contact us on 02084327333 or pop us an email help@drewberry.co.uk.

We are completely independent and have access to the whole of market.

Compare Top 10 UK Insurers

Takes approx. 60 seconds
  • £
Verified by Norton Symantec icon
 Or Call Us

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Head Office & Pensions and Investments
Senator House
85 Queen Victoria Street
Personal Insurance & Accounts Payable
Telecom House
125-135 Preston Road
Drewberry London Office MapDrewberry Brighton Office Map

If you are unhappy with our service, we have a complaints procedure, details of which are available upon request. If you are unhappy with how your complaint has been dealt with, you may be able to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). The FOS website is www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.

Drewberry Ltd is registered in England and Wales. Companies House No. 06675912

Drewberry Ltd registered office: Telecom House, Preston Road, Brighton, England, BN1 6AF. Telephone 0208 432 7333

Drewberry Ltd (Financial Conduct Authority No. 505473) is an Appointed Representative of Quilter Wealth Limited and Quilter Mortgage Planning

Limited, which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Drewberry™ uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacycookie policy.