Travel Insurance 4 Medical [Review]
Travel Insurance 4 Medical is an insurance provider that specialises in providing Travel Insurance with cover for medical conditions. It covers an extensive range of medical conditions and has terms that are considerably less strict compared to other providers when it comes to pre-existing conditions.
You can choose from 3 different levels of cover – Economy Plus, Standard, and Superior – which all cover pre-existing medical conditions and offer optional cover for activities, cruise holidays, and protective cover for your electronics.
Travel Insurance 4 Medical are specialists with 30 years of experience in providing comprehensive Travel Insurance policies for medical conditions. Its Superior policy has been given 5 star Defaqto rating, contesting to its high level of cover.
Travel Insurance 4 Medical Review
The most notable benefit of choosing Travel Insurance 4 Medical as your provider is that it offers Travel Insurance with pre-existing conditions covered while you are abroad if they agree to covering your condition.
Travel Insurance 4 Medical are able to cover thousands of different pre-existing medical conditions, including cancer. It has a simple online medical screening process that you can use to get your quotes. Providing you are honest about your health and disclose your conditions in full, Travel Insurance 4 Medical may offer you cover or help you find the cover you need elsewhere.
Travel Insurance 4 Medical can also cover pregnancy with their Travel Insurance policies, which is very rarely covered. If you give birth or have complications while you’re abroad, you can claim for your medical bills. You are covered from week 0 up to week 28 for standard issues but from week 29 onward, you will only be able to claim for serious complications.
Travel Insurance 4 Medical cover an extensive list of activities and sports that you can take part in which are separated into 8 separate Activity Packs.
Activity Pack 1 is included with your policy. The other packs include activities with different levels of risk that you can add to your policy for an additional premium, with Activity Pack 8 including activities and sports with the highest level of risk.
Get 30 minutes of free legal advice when you claim for legal cover. If you believe that you are owed compensation for an injury or illness or for the loss / damage to your belongings, you can speak to an adviser for free about your case.
If, after this conversation, you decide to pursue compensation and the adviser supports your claim, Travel Insurance 4 Medical will pay out your entitled Legal Cover to help you afford the legal fees associated with your case.
The length of the trips that you can take under a Travel Insurance 4 Medical policy are shorter than they may be for other providers to compensate for cover for pre-existing conditions.
A Single-Trip policy will cover you for a maximum of 60 days and Multi-Trip policies will cover a maximum of 30 days per visit abroad.
Travel Insurance 4 Medical Policy Summaries
The following table summarises the cover offered by Travel Insurance 4 Medical’s Economy, Standard, and superior policies, all of which are available as Single-Trip and Multi-Trip policies.
Economy Extra Cover
Winter Sports Cover
£1,000 for loss/ damage of personally owned equipment
£500 for missed departure
£1,500 for loss or damage of gadgets
Extended Activities Packs
Travel Insurance 4 Medical offer 8 different activities packs, with Activity Pack 1 included as standard with your policy. Adding additional packs to your policy will result in an additional premium being added to the cost of your Travel Insurance
Glossary of Travel Insurance Cover Terms
- Accidental Death & Disability Benefit: If someone under a Travel Insurance 4 Medical Travel Insurance policy dies or becomes permanently disabled while abroad, this cover will pay out a benefit.
- Airline Cover: This cover will pay out if the airline you are scheduled to fly with fails either before embarking on your journey or while you are abroad.
- Baggage Cover: This cover will pay out to compensate of you if any of your luggage or personal possessions are damaged, stolen or lost during your travels, provided you have taken the appropriate safety precautions to protect them.
- Cancellation Cover: If unforeseen circumstances force you to cancel your holiday or cut it short, this cover will refund you some or all of the price of your holiday.
- Cruise Cover: This optional cover offers specific protection for you if you are going on a cruise holiday. It will pay out if you miss departure or port, or if you are bedridden during your trip and confined to your cabin.
- Currency Cover: If your holiday money is stolen or lost while you are abroad, this cover will reimburse you for the money you lost.
- Delay Cover: If your international flight, train, or boat is delayed by more than 12 hours, this cover will pay out a small benefit every 24 hours.
- Emergency Dental Cover: If you suffer a dental emergency while abroad, this cover will cover the cost of fast emergency dental treatments.
- Extended Activities Packs: ‘Activity Packs’ each contain a list of activities that can be covered by your policy. With your policy, you are given a standard pack that contains typical activities. But, if you want to cover more activities, you can choose from 7 additional Activity Packs that you can add to your policy.
- Gadget Cover: This cover will pay out if you damage any electronics while you abroad, including phone, electronic tablets, and laptops. Payouts may cover either the cost of repairs (except for repairs required as a result of wear and tea) or potentially replacements if the item is lost or stolen. You must prove that the item belongs to you and was bought in the UK.
- Hospital Benefit: If you are admitted to hospital while abroad, Travel Insurance 4 Medical will pay out a small benefit for each night you spend in hospital.
- Legal Cover: This cover will payout to help you cover legal costs if you want to pursue compensation in the event that you suffer injury or illness while you’re abroad or if your home suffers damage.
- Medical Cover: This cover will pay out to cover the cost of any emergency medical treatment you may need while outside the UK. This payout can also cover any additional travel or accommodation costs associated with your treatment.
- Missed Departure Cover: Providing you are not to blame for missing your flight, train or boat, your Travel Insurance 4 Medical policy will pay out to help you afford replacement transportation if you miss your departure.
- Personal Liability Cover: If en event occurs that you are legally liable to pay for, such as damage to another person’s property or accidental injury, Travel Insurance 4 Medical will pay out to help you cover the costs associated.
- Pet Care Cover: If you are delayed from coming home and have a pet that is being cared for by a kennel or cattery, your Travel Insurance 4 Medical policy will cover the cost of extending your pet’s stay until you are able to return home.
- Replacement Prescription Cover: If your prescribed medication is lost or stolen while you are abroad, your policy will pay out for you to replace your
- Travel Documents Cover: Your Travel Insurance policy will cover the replacement of your important travel documents or passport if they are damaged or lost.
- Winter Sports Cover: Extends your policy’s cover to include winter sports. This means that you will be able to receive compensation for injuries, bought or rented equipment, and pre-paid ski packs and passes
Additional Information about Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
Key Comparison Points for Travel Insurance 4 Medical
- Travel Insurance 4 Medical’s speciality is providing Travel Insurance with pre-existing conditions covered automatically, provided you disclose them before trip and have your cover confirmed in writing. It is also willing to cover considerably more health problems than most other providers, including pregnancy complications and cancer.
- Travel Insurance 4 Medical covers an extensive list of holiday sports and activities. However, unlike other insurers, they are willing to cover many high-risk activities, with Activity Pack 8 including cover for alligator wrestling, ski stunting, and even bull running.
- As well as Single-Trip and Multi-Trip policies, Travel Insurance 4 Medical also offers Travel Insurance policies specially designed for backpackers with three varying levels of cover. These types of policies will also cover pre-existing medical conditions while you are travelling.
- Travel Insurance 4 Medical offers some extra benefits that can be negotiated if you are travelling abroad for specific reasons. For example, they can offer extra cover if you are travelling for your wedding and can even cover golf clubs if you’re planning a golfing getaway.
Travel Insurance 4 Medical Excess
The excess for each policy type only applies to certain types of claims.
£75 / £150
The above excess rates for each policy apply to the following types of claims:
- Cancellation Cover
- Missed Departure Cover
- Medical Cover
- Baggage Cover
- Personal Liability Cover
- Legal Cover
In addition to a general excess, optional Gadget Cover has its own £50 excess and an excess applies to certain types of claims you make with added Winter Sports Cover and Cruise Cover.
- Pre-existing conditions you have sought any medical advice or treatment for within the last 2 years that Travel Insurance 4 Medical have not confirmed in writing they will cover.
- Any claim made when travelling against the advice of your doctor or dentist, or the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Claims made resulting from self-injury, reckless behaviour, or wilfully exposing yourself to danger.
- Damage, loss, illness or injury occurring while you or your travel companions under the influence of drugs (other than those specifically prescribed to you), alcohol, or solvents.
- Any claims associated with the failure of your travel agent, tour operator, transport provider, or accommodation provider unless specified in your policy documents.
- Damage, loss, illness or injury occurring as the result of a criminal act committed by any person covered by the policy.
- You are not covered for any expenses associated with taxi fares, Visas, vaccinations, telephone calls, additional parking fees, or food or drink unless specified in your policy documents.
Gadget Cover Exclusions
- Claims for any gadgets valued higher than the maximum cover limit.
- Gadgets purchased outside of the UK or bought secondhand.
- Theft, loss or damage to any gadgets while travelling on public transport or an aircraft unless they are stored in your hand luggage and kept on your person at all times.
- Gadgets or electronics older than 48 months (cover for laptops is limited to 18 months).