I Don’t Work, Can I Still Pay into a Private Pension?

Is it still possible to pay into a private pension if you don’t work anymore? How does it work with tax and any relief?

Question asked by Carol Daniels
Are You Pension Happy?
Call us on 02084327334
I know how much my pension is worth
I know how much my pension costs
I have clear financial goals for my retirement

Answered by Andrew Jenkinson

Yes, you can. Any UK resident (under the age of 75) can make pension contributions and receive tax relief on their payments, even if they are a non-taxpayer.

This can be useful if you want to build up a pension in  your own right, for example if your partner is the main breadwinner and you stay at home to look after your children.

Pension for non-earner

As a non-earner, you can still receive 20% tax relief even if you don’t pay tax. In this case, the most you can pay into your pension is £3,600, made up of your contributions of £2,880 and the taxman’s contribution of £720.

You can take your pension benefits from the age of 55, with the first 25% available as a tax-free lump sum. The remaining 75% is available as taxable income. If you are a non-taxpayer (and these pension payments do not push you into tax), this payment would not be taxed.

Personal Allowance and Tax Relief

For example, imagine you invest £3,600, which grows to £10,000. When you decide to take your pension benefits, you can take 25%, or £2,500, as a tax-free lump sum.  If you want to take the remaining 75% as a single income payment of £7,500, then this amount is not taxed if your total income is less than the personal allowance of £11,500 (for the 2017/18 tax year). Your personal allowance is the amount of income you can receive each year without having to pay tax on it.

For more on the tax relief you can receive on pension contributions, use our Pension Contributions Tax Relief Calculator here →

private pension
 
retirement planning
 
unemployed
 
This information does not constitute financial or other professional advice. You should consult your professional adviser or contact us directly on 02084327333 should you require financial advice. It is important to ensure any insurance policy you take out is suitable for your needs.
Start your journey today...
  Find out how a Drewberry financial adviser can help you reach your destination by making the most of your finances.
Call us on 

Frequently Asked Pensions Advice Questions

 
I’m just deciding what to do with my investments and private pension that I have. Should I just...
 
Do you get National Insurance relief on pension contributions just as you get...
 
Could you explain annuities and taxation to me please? I’m approaching retirement and considering...
 
Could you explain to me what a temporary annuity is? I’m looking into buying an annuity for retirement...
Need Help? Live chat now and get an instant answer from our Experts...

Neil
Pensions

Victoria
Insurance
Our Latest Reviews
Matthew Draper
11/07/2018

Excellent service at convenient times of the day specified by me. All product options were clearly outlined and I am very pleased.

Paul Devine
10/07/2018

First class service. Helped me through the process from start to finish. Egle and Francis were very professional and talked me though all my options. Once the policies were set up, the after care after was also first class. Highly recommend. 5 stars all day long.

Josip Marjanovich
03/07/2018

Victoria was very helpful about selection of suitable insurance. She always answered all questions in a timely manner.

We are rated 4.9/5 based on 1512 independent client reviews.
To read more of our independent client reviews click here →
REVIEWS
EXCELLENT
4.93 / 5 Average
652 Reviews
Verified Buyer
Overall Rating
The whole process was a pleasure. Drewberry we're easy to deal with, polite, knowledgeable and helpful
Verified Buyer
Overall Rating
Very good, clear service would recommend to friends and family
Anon
Overall Rating
Sam Carr provided an efficient and professional service.
Verified Buyer
Overall Rating
Sam Carr provided a professional but enthusiastic service and helped make the whole process very straight forward. Goodness knows I have been through enough application forms recently. My insurance product was never going to be easy to find and I had been rejected on a number of other occasions through others ironically due to well managed common health conditions. I identified Drewberry in a last and disappointing trawl on th web to find someone that actually wanted to take on a difficult case like me. Some brokers wouldn't even consider me. When we applied for my first choice product Sam wasn't at all deterred by the long wait for my GP report or the final rejection that came back from the insurer, sadly I have become used to it. Within a day he had lined up the second choice and to my surprise he had hit the nail on the head and introduced me to the correct insurer and terms for my needs whilst nogotiating an excellent premium. I am extremely satisfied with what Sam has achieved for me and I would have no hesitation in recommending either him or Drewberry to friends, family and and business contacts. In the future, Drewberry will be my first point of contact. Many thanks!
Kym
Overall Rating
Tailored to my need and the staff gave very good service