What is Pension Income Drawdown?

I was looking at buying an annuity but someone said another option is drawdown, what is this and how does it work?

Question asked by Zoe Hruska
Need Pension Advice?
Call us on 02084327333
First Name
Phone
Email

Answered by Andrew Jenkinson

Income drawdown is basically a way of taking an income from your pension. Provided you are aged 55 or over, you can use income drawdown to take as much or as little from your pension as you want, when you want.

An annuity is an income for life, which you buy from an insurance company in exchange for your pension pot.

Income Drawdown and Pension Freedom

The Pension freedom legislation introduced in April 2015 has provided additional flexibility with this option. There are effectively two elements to the payments from the pension drawdown arrangement. One is the tax-free element and another is the taxable element.

To work out how long your pension pot will last with income drawdown, use our Pension Drawdown Calculator here →

Pension Tax Free Lump Sum

Up to 25% of the accumulated fund can usually be taken tax-free – this can be in the form of a single payment or a series of payments. The remaining 75% when taken is subject to Income Tax (at your marginal rate). Again, this can be taken as a single payment or a series of payments.

Careful tax planning should be considered when taking funds from a pension income drawdown plan to ensure you do not overpay tax.

Pension income drawdown tax

When you die, any money that is left over can be passed to your beneficiaries, although they may have to pay tax, depending on how old you are when you die.

Read more on drawdown pensions and inheritance tax here →

Bear in mind that with income drawdown your income is not secure, and could run out too quickly if your investments don’t perform as you’d hoped, or you make too many withdrawals.

To figure out how long your pension could last if you choose income drawdown, the Drewberry Pension Drawdown Calculator can help.

pension income drawdown
 
retirement planning
 
This information does not constitute financial or other professional advice. You should consult your professional adviser or contact us directly on 02084327333 should you require financial advice. It is important to ensure any insurance policy you take out is suitable for your needs.
Start your journey today...
  Find out how a Drewberry financial adviser can help you reach your destination by making the most of your finances.
Call us on 

Frequently Asked Pensions Advice Questions

 
Could you help explain the difference between pension fund values and pension transfer values...
 
Am I still able to pay into a pension if I am already retired? Are there still tax benefits of doing...
 
I’m interested in using one of my smaller pensions to take a few lump sums when I’m in retirement....
 
I’m approaching retirement age. I’ve heard about deferring my state pension, but I’m...
Need Help? Live chat now and get an instant answer from our Experts...

Neil
Pensions

Victoria
Insurance
Our Latest Reviews
Kevin Paul
05/09/2017

Excellent service renewing our medical insurance, professional advice, good rates found and excellent professional after service, highly recommended.

Max Edgar
09/09/2017

Nadeem was brilliant. He was very patient and worked very well with me to come up with the best solution possible for my budget. Perfect solution. Thank you very much.

Aidan Smyth
11/09/2017

Dealt with me promptly and provided me with the most cost-effective option consistent with my requirements. Very pleased and thank you.

We are rated 4.9/5 based on 1129 independent client reviews.
To read more of our independent client reviews click here →
REVIEWS
EXCELLENT
4.93 / 5 Average
1,222 Reviews
A
Overall Rating
Really, really helpful! Stopped me from signing up with an unhelpful company, and did basically all of the legwork for me in signing up with the right one. I can't have been the most helpful client as I'm 19 and only just started looking into it last week, but he took all the questions in stride! Put up with me turning to ask my dad questions every 2 minutes as well. I was helped by 2 workers; Sam and Nick. Thank you very much to both!
L Finch
Overall Rating
Good communication and follow ups. Friendly. A thorough research for my insurance needs.
M
Overall Rating

Sam Barr-Worsfold was very helpful and provided excellent customer service. Sam discovered I was paying too much premium for my current cover. Sam recommended and helped moved to a new cover with lower premium that provided the level of cover (terms required stated in the provider's policy) I wanted. I recommend highly recommend Sam and Drewberry Insurance. Thank you Sam.
Anonymous
Overall Rating
Thorough, knowledgeable and great communication
Anonymous
Overall Rating
Went through each policy in detail and made sure I was getting the correct one for me