Can I cash in small pension pots?

I’ve built up a few small final salary pension pots over my working life. They’re not worth much in terms of annual income and I’m not planning on relying on them for a retirement income. Having the money sitting there in the small defined benefit pots isn’t much good to me and I’d like to get my hands on the cash. Is this possible?

Question asked by Mr S Kapoor
Are You Pension Happy?
Call us on 02084327334
I know how much my pension is worth
I know how much my pension costs
I have clear financial goals for my retirement

Answered by Michael Englefield

 

Cashing in small final salary pensions

You might not feel like your final salary pensions are worth much because they’re small, but they will still provide you a guaranteed and probably index-linked retirement income for life, no matter how low this might be.

Cashing in small pension pots

It’s worth considering whether you’re really willing to give that up by cashing in your defined benefit pension pots.

If you’re still thinking about cashing in your small pensions, you may fall under the trivial commutation or small pension pot rules. These are for those people whose pension provisions are very modest.

What does trivial commutation mean?

Trivial commutation rules allow you to, in some circumstances, take your entire pension as cash, whether your pension is defined contribution or defined benefit.

To find out if this could apply to you, ask yourself:

  • Are you at least 55 (or are retiring early as a result of ill health)?
  • Is the value of all your pension entitlements, excluding the state pension, under £30,000?

If you answer yes to both of these questions, you may be able to take the entire pension as a cash lump sum.

Trivial commutation and defined benefit pensions

If you cash in a trivial pension pot, 25% can be taken as a tax-free lump sum providing you’re not already drawing on the pension. The remaining 75% is added to your taxable income during the tax year you’ve cashed in your pension and taxed at your highest marginal rate.

Small pension pots and commutation

There are also similar flexible rules for small pension pots that allow you to take up to three small pots of no more than £10,000 each. Here, the value of your other pension entitlements isn’t taken into account.

To work out if the small pot pension commutation rules apply to you, ask yourself:

  • Are you at least 55 (or are retiring early as a result of ill health)?
  • Is the value of the pension arrangement you’re cashing in worth £10,000 or less?
  • Is the pension arrangement  in question the first, second or third one under £10,000 that you’ve cashed in?

If you’ve answered yes to all three questions, then you may be able to commute your pension under the small pot rules.

Again, providing you haven’t yet drawn on the pension, 25% would be tax-free with the remaining 75% being added to any other income in that tax year and taxed at your highest marginal rate.

Be aware that taking a cash lump sum from your pension, including using the trivial commutation or small pot rules, could push you up an income tax bracket and hit you with a larger tax bill than you were expecting. Drewberry would recommend getting financial and/or pensions advice before cashing in any small pension pots to make sure it’s the right decision for you.

Pension
 
Final salary pension
 
Small pension pots
 
Trivial commutation
 
Defined benefit pension
 
This information does not constitute financial or other professional advice. You should consult your professional adviser or contact us directly on 02084327333 should you require financial advice. It is important to ensure any insurance policy you take out is suitable for your needs.
Start your journey today...
  Find out how a Drewberry financial adviser can help you reach your destination by making the most of your finances.
Call us on 

Frequently Asked Pensions Advice Questions

 
I know with the changes in the budget introducing pension freedom we are now able to access are pension...
 
I’m approaching retirement age. I’ve heard about deferring my state pension, but I’m...
 
I’ve had a number of different jobs over the years and have accumulated lots of pension pots in...
 
I know I had a pension with my first employer, but I don’t know who it was with or where any of...
Need Help? Live chat now and get an instant answer from our Experts...

Neil
Pensions

Victoria
Insurance
Our Latest Reviews
Doug Harvey
05/09/2018

Victoria swiftly helped in finding a solution which offered the required cover, with a more competitive premium.

Huw Davies
05/09/2018

The service I received from Drewberry was excellent. Egle provided me with very detailed information about my insurance options and explained the pros and cons of each option clearly.

James Ager
21/08/2018

Friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Nadeem Farid searched the market and found a product that matched our needs.

We are rated 4.9/5 based on 1742 independent client reviews.
To read more of our independent client reviews click here →
REVIEWS
EXCELLENT
4.93 / 5 Average
652 Reviews
Verified Buyer
Overall Rating
The whole process was a pleasure. Drewberry we're easy to deal with, polite, knowledgeable and helpful
Verified Buyer
Overall Rating
Very good, clear service would recommend to friends and family
Anon
Overall Rating
Sam Carr provided an efficient and professional service.
Verified Buyer
Overall Rating
Sam Carr provided a professional but enthusiastic service and helped make the whole process very straight forward. Goodness knows I have been through enough application forms recently. My insurance product was never going to be easy to find and I had been rejected on a number of other occasions through others ironically due to well managed common health conditions. I identified Drewberry in a last and disappointing trawl on th web to find someone that actually wanted to take on a difficult case like me. Some brokers wouldn't even consider me. When we applied for my first choice product Sam wasn't at all deterred by the long wait for my GP report or the final rejection that came back from the insurer, sadly I have become used to it. Within a day he had lined up the second choice and to my surprise he had hit the nail on the head and introduced me to the correct insurer and terms for my needs whilst nogotiating an excellent premium. I am extremely satisfied with what Sam has achieved for me and I would have no hesitation in recommending either him or Drewberry to friends, family and and business contacts. In the future, Drewberry will be my first point of contact. Many thanks!
Kym
Overall Rating
Tailored to my need and the staff gave very good service