Drewberry™ provide pensions, investment and insurance advice for Money to the Masses readers throughout the UK.


How is Pension Drawdown Taxed?

The taxation of flexi-access drawdown is the most complicated part of drawing your retirement savings in this way. There’s no easy answer regarding the question of how much tax you’ll pay with pension drawdown because it depends on your circumstances.

Broadly speaking, there are four major factors affecting how your pension is taxed in income drawdown:

  • How much you withdraw from your pension
  • The way you choose to access your pension
  • Your total income (including from sources such as the state pension, investments, buy-to-let properties etc.)
  • How much (if any) of the 25% tax-free cash lump sum you withdraw from your pension upfront.
Are You Pension Happy?
Call us on 02084327334
I know how much my pension is worth
I know how much my pension costs
I have clear financial goals for my retirement

How Do I Access My Pension Through Income Drawdown?

You have three main options for taking cash out of your pension via income drawdown, all of which will have an impact on the amount of tax you’ll pay.

  • Withdraw your 25% tax-free cash and allocate the remaining 75% to drawdown – 25% will be free from tax and the remainder will be taxed as income when you take it.
  • Take just some of your tax-free lump sum – you can take a proportion of your 25% tax-free allowance, providing a sum worth three times the tax-free total is moved to drawdown to preserve the mandatory 25%/75% split.  The rest of your pension remains invested and uncrystallised, with the option to take further lump sums in the future on the same terms.
  • Take an uncrystallised funds pension lump sum (UFPLS) – rather than moving your pension pot to drawdown, you can withdraw cash lump sums (the first 25% of which are tax-free and the remaining 75% taxable) direct from your pot
Need Help? Start Live Chat with our Experts  

Pensions Advice

Income Protection

How Much Tax Will I Pay if I Move My Entire Pension into Drawdown?

If you decide to designate your whole pension to flexi-access drawdown in a single tax year, the first 25% of your pension will be available as tax-free cash, so £25,000 of a £100,000 pension pot.

The remaining 75% of your pension pot, £75,000 in this instance, will be moved to a drawdown fund and taxed as income as and when you take it (assuming your total income exceeds your personal allowance in any given tax year).

Once the 75% of your pension is in flexi-access drawdown you can take cash lump sums out of your pension or invest it to provide an income. You can also use a mixture of the two. These will potentially be taxable in the year you take them.

In this instance, further withdrawals from your drawdown fund will be added to the rest of your earnings that tax year – including the state pension – and taxed as income accordingly if it’s above the income tax personal allowance.


Tax on Pension Commencement Lump Sums: Withdrawing Your 25% Tax-Free Cash

You can take 25% tax-free from your pension and leave the rest invested to provide an income at a later date, but the remaining 75% will have to be moved into income drawdown if you don’t want to take any of it yet. You can’t just take 25% tax-free from your pot and not move the remaining 75% into drawdown.

Can you take only your 25% tax-free cash from your pension?

However, once that 75% is in a compatible drawdown arrangement, you don’t have to touch it straight away – you can leave it invested and take an income from it as required.

When you need to take an income, your withdrawal will be added to your other income that tax year and, if you’ve drawn a greater amount than your income tax personal allowance, you’ll pay tax on that drawdown income.

Download our latest FREE e-Guides

The Drewberry 'Making Sense' guides are here to cut through the jargon so you can understand how to make the most of your wealth.

Download our series of guides for help making the right decisions for your financial future.


How is Phased Income Drawdown Taxed?

Phased or gradual income drawdown sees you slowly shift your pension pot into drawdown over time. Every time you withdraw cash from your pension via phased income drawdown you take just some of the 25% pension commencement lump sum you’re entitled to.

Do I have to take my 25% tax-free cash from my pension all at once?

Each time you designate a chunk of cash to drawdown, the first 25% is tax-free. The cash you leave behind stays invested with your pension provider.

In the example below, Brenda has a total pension of £100,000. She is entitled to take up to 25% of her pension, so £25,000, tax-free.

But Brenda only needs some of that available tax-free cash today – in the example below she wants £10,000, or 10% of her total fund value.


How does gradual income drawdown work?

Remember that whenever you take tax-free cash from your pension, it comes with a non-negotiable taxable element along with it worth three times the tax-free cash. This element is designated to pension drawdown.

In Brenda’s case, her £10,000 tax-free cash would also need to be taken alongside £30,000 for a total designation to drawdown of £40,000.

Of this, Brenda would receive £10,000 as tax-free pension cash, 25% of the total amount (£40,000) drawn down from her whole pension pot. The £30,000 moved to pension drawdown will be added to her total income in the tax year she chooses to take it and, if she exceeds her personal allowance, she’ll be charged income tax on withdrawals from the drawdown fund.

After accessing £40,000 of her pension, Brenda has £60,000 still invested. Of this amount, 25% is available tax-free and the remainder (i.e. £45,000 plus investment growth) will be potentially taxable income when she chooses to take it.

For simplicity, this chart assumes no investment changes to Brenda’s pension. This is very unlikely given that a sizeable proportion of her fund will remain invested, so it’s important to consider that the value of Brenda’s retirement savings could go down as well up in line with markets.

Neil Adams
Pensions Adviser at Drewberry

Can I take just the tax-free cash?

Can I Take Small Tax-Free Lump Sums from My Pension?

Yes – you can take small tax-free lump sums from your pension with gradual income drawdown, assuming your pension arrangement permits it.

For each tax-free lump sum you take you must also allocate a non-negotiable amount to drawdown worth three times the amount you get tax-free. So if you wanted to withdraw £5,000 of tax-free cash, you’d also have to allocate £15,000 of taxable cash to your drawdown fund. Remember, that £15,000 will potentially be taxable as income when you need to take it.

In this example, £20,000 has been designated from your pension to drawdown, of which £15,000 remains invested.


Should I Move My Pension to Drawdown Gradually?

Those with the largest pension funds will benefit the most from gradually moving their pension pot to drawdown. This is because the tax-free cash element, when withdrawn, will form part of your estate for inheritance tax purposes.

If you have a £1 million pension pot and opt to withdraw your entire pension using income drawdown, the 25% tax-free cash element would be worth £250,000 and become part of your estate. When added to your other assets, such as your home, it’s clear to see that this could easily breach the inheritance tax nil-rate band threshold of £325,000 per individual.


Pension Drawdown and the Lifetime Allowance

Moreover, those with large pension pots might have a pension lifetime allowance issue. The lifetime allowance is currently £1 million, which is the amount you can withdraw from your pension in your lifetime before paying the lifetime allowance charge. This charge could be a hefty 55% on everything you take above your lifetime allowance.


When you move cash to drawdown, you crystallise part of your pension pot (known as a benefit crystallisation event). So if you move your whole pension to drawdown at once you crystallise the entire pot. Those with a large pension could then be hit with the lifetime allowance charge as soon as they access their pension.

Start your journey today...
  Find out how a Drewberry financial adviser can help you reach your destination by making the most of your finances.
Call us on 
Taking a proportion of your tax-free cash

Taxation of Uncrystallised Funds Pension Lump Sums

Uncrystallised funds pension lump sums (UFPLS), which are also referred to as FLUMPs, offer a very similar way of taking your pension to drawdown. However, you don’t have to designate funds as in drawdown – you simply withdraw cash straight from your pension pot.

How are uncrystallised funds pension lump sums taxed?

In the example below, Alan has a £100,000 pension pot. He decides to take a FLUMP worth £10,000 out of his pension pot.

25% of this sum – £2,500 – will be free from tax. The remaining £7,500 will be added to any other income Alan has that year and may therefore incur income tax depending on his other earnings.

Alan is left with £90,000 in his pension pot which he can withdraw at a later date.

For simplicity, this example assumes no investment changes to Alan’s pension. This is very unlikely given that a sizeable proportion of his fund will remain invested, so it’s important to consider that the value of Alan’s retirement savings could go up as well down in line with markets.

Peter Banks
Pensions Adviser at Drewberry

Life Expectancy Calculator

Your Current Age
Risk of Death in next
verisign seal
We have designed this calculator using data from the Office for National Statistics to help you understand the risk of death during the term of your mortgage. Simply enter your details to find out...

Your Life Expectancy Results


Is There Tax due on an Inherited Pension?

Following the pension freedoms introduced in April 2015, the government ditched the hated ‘death tax’ on pension pots. Previously, any money left to loved ones in a pension pot would be subject to a 55% charge.

This has now been abolished and most people can leave their pensions to their loved ones without having to pay inheritance tax as well.

The key is that the cash must remain within a pension wrapper to be free from inheritance tax, i.e. still invested in a pension pot or designated to a drawdown fund.

If you’ve withdrawn chunks of your pension and are holding it elsewhere, such as in an ISA, this could be added to your estate for inheritance tax purposes after you’re gone.

Neil Adams
Head of Pensions at Drewberry

If you die before the age of 75, there’s also no income tax for your loved ones to pay on a defined contribution or money purchase pension you’ve left them. However, if you die after the age of 75 your beneficiaries will have to pay income tax on any withdrawals they make from an inherited pension.

Another important consideration is that this only applies to defined contribution or money purchase pension pots. Final salary schemes will often offer a reduced survivor’s pension for your spouse and perhaps any dependent children. However, any income from your final salary scheme paid to your loved ones after you’re gone will be added to their earnings that tax year and will be taxed as income accordingly.

Download our latest FREE e-Guides

The Drewberry 'Making Sense' guides are here to cut through the jargon so you can understand how to make the most of your wealth.

Download our series of guides for help making the right decisions for your financial future.

Need flexi-access drawdown pension advice?

Pension Drawdown Tax Advice

If you’re looking for pension drawdown tax advice, the expert financial advisers at Drewberry can help.

The taxation of flexi-access drawdown is the most complicated aspect of accessing your pension this way, so it pays to get professional advice to ensure you’re being as tax-efficient as possible when drawing on your retirement savings.

The team of experts here at Drewberry can help you through the entire drawdown process, from choosing your fund or funds and designating the cash to pension drawdown to drawing your money as tax-efficiently as possible.

With the right financial planning and retirement advice, no one needs to pay more tax than is necessary when accessing their pension through income drawdown.

If you have any questions about the tax you could pay on pension drawdown or are even simply wondering whether flexi-access drawdown is right for you, don’t hesitate to give us a call on 02084327333.

Tom Conner
Director at Drewberry

Are You Pension Happy?
Call us on 02084327334
I know how much my pension is worth
I know how much my pension costs
I have clear financial goals for my retirement

Frequently Asked Pensions Advice Questions

A friend told me I should think about ‘income drawdown’ now that I’m in my late 50s....
I’ve been saving into a final salary pension for all of my working life. My neighbour is about...
Do you get National Insurance relief on pension contributions just as you get...
I’m worried I won’t have enough money in my pension savings when I stop working, so I’m...
4.92 / 5 Average
2252 Reviews
E Scowen
Overall Rating
Extremely helpful and knowledgeable of the market and products. Made decision making easy and helped me to wade through everything that was available. Definitely feel as if I now have the right products for my circumstances. Very flexible with changing call times. Would recommend to family and friends.
N C.M.
Overall Rating
Extremely satisfied with the help and advice from Drew, since the beginning him understood what I was looking for and have the patience to help me out with all my questions and doubts. Didn’t tried to be push or annoying calling me all the time like so many did before. At the end we find the perfect medical policy for me and my daughter that covers everything that we need. I more than recommend them and if in the future I need something else for sure I will contact them again. Giving only 5 stars bc I can’t give 6!!!!
Overall Rating
I discovered Drewberry after a lot of personal research and using other comparison engines myself. I have probably spent nearly a day of work on comparing policies. I'm a pretty sophisticated internet user and usually get things done on my own. I am, however, delighted I eventually decided to find my health insurance through Drewberry - their advice was tailored and insightful. It took into account my personal needs and situation and helped me navigate the market on a level of detail that would have taken me days to achieve and probably still not as well. At no point did I feel my time was being wasted or anything was less than devoutly professional. A great service and highly recommended.
F Sale
Overall Rating
Drew was incredibly helpful all the way along and very responsive and patient with any questions I had (which were many). He was able to get me a much better deal on my new health insurance than I had been able to get online. A success all round!
S Westhead
Overall Rating
Fantastic service from Victoria.